77044: Turanil, Male Elf Paladin

I offered to paint up some RPG characters for a random person at my FLGS.  I only got one suggestion, a half-elf paladin with a green knight vibe.  Turanil here was a great candidate, and he got painted up over the course of last weekend.  MSP Grass Green, up through Reaper NPP Poison Green and MSP Alien Goo for the highlights.  Used Violet Shadow for color contrast in the shadows.  NMM because I was feeling like it (Reaper’s Gold NMM Triad for the golds, various blues for the steel).

Advertisements

Kyojin Bersekers

Several years ago, I commissioned Blue Table Painting to paint my Relic Knights Noh Empire faction.  At the time, Kyojin Berserkers were so-so and also came in 1-2 man units.  I haven’t played 2.0 yet, but I’ve got a tournament coming up at the beginning of February, and the Berserkers look a bit better plus they come in 1-4 man units now.  So I painted up the other 2 that I had using the same paint scheme as Blue Table used.  The main difference is that I used a yellow-gold NMM whereas they used red-gold NMM.  I wanted to try out my Reaper NMM triad so I didn’t worry about matching that exactly.  I airbrushed the skin, and used lots of two-brush blending for the grey so that it would be a fast paint job.  All-in-all, probably 10 hours for the pair.

Here they are next to the Blue Table Painting version.  The newly-painted guys are on the left.

Journeyman Warcaster

Unlike most of the rest of my South Khador army, I used a black undercoat on this guy.  It was mostly me being lazy since I was priming something else black.  Compared to, say, Arlan Strangeways, the effect of the undercoat is obvious.  I won’t be lazy in the future, although this does give me good insight into how to keep my “regular” Khador colors more on the red side.  Also on the topic of “lazy,” I didn’t mix any color into his resin water, and it’s *too* clear.  You actually have to kind of look at it to realize there’s anything there – good on the resin, bad on me.

Painting Goals 2018/2019

In 2018, I was part of the Warmachine Painting Group’s Point-a-Day challenge (on Facebook).  As a result, I painted up over 4 armies worth of minis over the course of 2018! (2018 Miniatures) Unfortunately, I didn’t get as many non-Privateer Press miniatures painted up.  So for 2019, I’m still going for the Point-a-Day challenge, but it will be points according to my own system.  So the goal is to paint 30 points of models a month (plus extra random days) for at least 365 for the year.

  • Standard sized miniature, solo: 6 points
  • Unit of standard-sized miniatures (unit size 2-3): 4pt/each
  • Unit of standard-sized miniatures (unit size 4-5): 3pt/each
  • Unit of standard-sized miniatures (unit size 6-10): 2pt/each
  • Medium sized miniature (ie, would fit on a 40mm base): 10 points
  • Large miniature (ie, 50mm base): 15 points
  • Huge miniature (80mm or larger): 30 points

In addition, I have a goal of ending the year with fewer unpainted miniatures than when I started. According to my Google Spreadsheet, I have 998 unpainted miniatures.  Current 2019 delta: +0

Hurrikane

Whew, that’s a lot of surface area to cover.  I’ve also got the Stormwall variant coming, but I wanted to get this guy done before the end of the year for the Point-a-Day challenge.

Standard orangy-red South Khador color scheme.  The big anvil on his chassis is made with styrene strips, while the shoulder-pad ones are freehand painted.  Black is highlighted with P3 Coal Black.  Lightning is white + GW blue glaze + white.  Metal is VMA Chainmail Silver and VGA Steel, washed with GW Nuln Oil and drybrushed with VMC Oiled Steel.  VGC Glorious Gold for the anvils, and P3 Bright Brass for the brass parts.  Final highlights on the yellow metals added in some Vallejo Metal Medium.

Base is a Secret Weapon based “Blasted Wetlands” plus 2 part resin water.  The pour had a couple issues, but went mostly okay.  I used a bunch of washes on the base itself to give it a lot of variation.  I also threw some plants and things in there so it wouldn’t look quite so empty.  I also used the AK Interactive swamp gel around his feet  (the lighter color under his left foot is actually some that I didn’t notice hadn’t finished drying yet).