Painted in 2019
Privateer Press: 98 (+2 ‘jack variants)
Raging Heroes: 15
Soda Pop Miniatures: 2
Lots of stuff going on that I haven’t posted about, mostly because I’m bad at posting regularly.
Major project at the moment is my Satyxis pirates. There are 40 of them and I really should have done them in smaller batches. Here is a sample:
And an objective for them to fight over (almost done, just needs some shading)
A Raging Heroes sorceress I’ve had on the shelf of shame for several years now. I finally did her NMM, the part that was intimidating me. I used Reaper’s NMM triad. Her crown and some parts of the staff were already basecoated in a different gold color, maybe Buckskin Pale.
Breachstorm Zhren’thrar, also finished up gold NMM on them. They are also getting very close to done.
I used GW’s new Blood Angel Red Contrast paint on both Vlad2 and Drago. Vlad2 got completed over the weekend, so here’s Drago with one coat of contrast paint over a zenithal prime.
Painted for use as a 40mm flag for use with my Satyxis army. Same colors as usual for the wood: Reddish Brown Badger Stynlyrez primer, Black wash, drybrush S75 Bosh Chestnut, mix in some P3 Hammerfall Khaki for highlights. Used RMS Blackened Steel for the weapons/chains/anchor, highlights courtesy of Vallejo Metal Medium. Grass tufts are from Army Painter.
I painted a lot of Doom Reavers.
Fenris, Maximus, male Doom Reaver Swordsmen and male Greylord Escort are from Privateer Press.
Female Doom Reaver Swordsmen, female Greylord Escort and genderbent Fenris dismount are from Raging Heroes.
Objective marker is from Games Workshop.
Female Doom Reaver Swordsmen
Built from Raging Heroes Blade Maidens (Sisters of the Orphanage). Two Troop boxes and one Command box. The extra bits were turned into genderbent Fenris and a Greylord Escort. The swords come with a divot along the length which I filled in with putty. I made molds of Raging Heroes Flesh Eaters (Lust Elves Fantasy) masks using instamold and used greenstuff to copy them to the Blade Maiden faces.
I gave them a variety of skintones (to reflect Khador’s commitment to diversity when chaining prisoners to cursed swords that will drive them insane), and painted one red and one orange unit. S75 Red and Orange were used as the base colors (they use weird names that I can’t remember). VGA Chainmail Silver and GW Gehenna’s Gold for the metal and MSP Linen White and MSP Oiled Leather for the strips of cloth and leather. Everything was given a healthy wash of some combination of GW Agrax Earthshade and GW Nuln Oil.
My favorite part are the swords; the souls are freehanded on there. The base is MSP Black Green, the “soul” color is NPP Poison Green and the highlight is MSP Moth Green.
The bases for all units in this post were done at the same time. The snow is Woodland Scenics snow mixed with PVA and watered down so it doesn’t look dry. Tufts are Army Painter Frozen Tufts, with a few of them using the older Winter Tufts.
Next up is a regular unit of PP Doom Reaver Swordsmen and a Greylord Escort. These guys are a metal and weigh more than the both units of Raging Heroes resin put together. Again, I used a variety of skin tones, though I did more darker ones after realizing I forgot to include some really dark ones among the women. These sculpts are much simpler than the women, which helped a lot – I got them done in about a week and a half, as opposed to multiple months for the women. The swords were dry brushed in the same colors and the women’s swords, with S75 Red, SW Ruby Wash, VGC Beastly Brown, VGA Chainmail Silver and MSP Linen White used for the clothing bits. All topped off with a healthy GW black/brown wash mix. There are a few details I skipped over on the clother (rings in the leather skirts for one) so I could move them into the “done” column faster.
The Greylord Escort was painted to match the orange group of ladies above, mostly using the same colors as them. He started off with a zenithal prime coat, got glazes of VMC Basalt Grey for his cloak, a wash of GW Agrax Earthshade over the primer coat for the fur, VMA Steel for the pauldrons and P3 Battledress Green (IIRC) for the pants. I’ll have to keep the green in mind for future Khador guys – it’s desaturated so it doesn’t stand out, but way more interesting than brown or grey. His staff is painted with the standard sword colors of MSP Black Green, NPP Poison Green and MSP Moth Green. He got lots of GW Gehenna’s Gold accessories.
more details to come
Minis Received (as gifts): 7
Minis Painted for Others: 7
Including the above, here’s what I painted this year:
Khadoran flag, close to completion:
Marauder. Decided not to magnetize this guy, since I have a couple of extra heavy jack bodies, already have a magnetized kit, and it’s easier to paint whole jacks at once. Went with a dopey-looking pose, because it’s a dopey-looking jack. I used Badger Stynylrez primer, which went on great. It’s a new bottle though, and the Vallejo primer also goes on great when it’s a new bottle – and clogs my airbrush something fierce once it ages a bit. So I’ll only be able to give it a proper evaluation in a few months. I decided I’d try painting him with glazes of transparent colors to try to preserve the directional highlighting. So far, so good, but I will need more layers.
Juggernaut. I would definitely like the ability to include two of these guys in a list, so I assembled another one out of the misc bits I have (I bought a bunch of ‘jack bodies off someone a little while back). Again, decided not to magnetize the guy, but this time because I’ll be using a straight juggernaut quite a bit, and probably don’t need a second destroyer (the only other thing I have extra bits for). Gave him a cooler pose than normal – I now refer to him mentally as “Come at me, bro.” I’m trying to decide whether to give him the classic red look, or go with an alternate paint scheme, maybe 5th Border Legion.