Sculpted by Bobby Jackson
I picked this guy up at ReaperCon a few years ago, got him to about 90% then left him for a while. I wanted to do NMM on the gun barrels, but decided that enough was enough and finished him while on vacation last month.
My favorite part is the crazy eyes. Usually black dot in white is wrong, but here it’s right 🙂
Little bit of progress on this lady. I think I’m okay with the eyes, but she needs plenty eye makeup to match her plenty of lip makeup. My complete lack of knowledge in this regard is sure to bite me in the butt.
Here is everything I painted in 2015 (minus 4 exchange minis, Dana Murphy and my ReaperCon diorama). There are also 9 1’x1′ city tiles that were painted and not shown. I may have missed a few others, but the bulk are here. By my count, that is 84 miniatures, 3 complex painted pieces of scenery, 27 pieces of simply-painted scenery, one bit of scratch-built scenery and one scratch-built diorama (2 minis on the diorama are also counted in the miniatures). 57 from Privateer Press (most are tabletop level army-painted units), 11 Relic Knights (including 3 non-SPM as proxies), 10 Reaper Minis, 2 Stonehaven, 1 Tin Man Minis, 1 Hasslefree, 1 Infinity, 1 Dark Sword
Including the Warmachine miniatures I assembled, primed and [usually] gave an identifying color to. +58ish
This is the stuff horror games are made of. It was hard to get the eyes even, but I think they’re ready to thin those dark lines some. I want to try to give this lady some pretty heavy makeup, but we’ll see how well I can fake it, not knowing much about makeup.
This little bust was a freebie from Hangar 18’s kickstarter. The face is bigger, but the eyes are not 😦
Last year at ReaperCon, MonkeySloth and I won two boxes of figures from Victoria Miniatures out of Australia. Each box had ten riflemen, one box male and one box female. We split the sprues evenly. James Wappel posted recently about their highlander bits, and I decided to pull mine out. I think these are supposed to be W40K Imperial Guard stand-ins, but I’m not sure since I don’t play that game. They come in at least 4 pieces each plus accessory bits, which is different than I’m used to. However, they went together very easily with just a little bit of cutting and sanding (they’re resin, so I made sure to wear my respirator). I can definitely see an advantage to resin here, since it barely took any work at all to remove the flash. Metal and even plastic are a lot harder to deal with.
After cleaning, I primed them black, and gave them a nice directional highlight to start with (hard to see in the photo since the camera is in the “head-on” position). I started down the path of making them both caucasian, but then remembered that I’m purposely trying to paint in a multi-ethnic fashion. While trying to decide whether to go asian, african or something else, I saw the NPP Poison Green on my palette and decided to go with that instead.
While painting my “martians,” I got an idea for diorama that would suit the ReaperCon theme. I don’t know if I could get it done in time, but it’s something to work for nonetheless. The idea is a roadside checkpoint, with a sign in English/Spanish and Martian that says something like “All humans must present identification.” Maybe throw in a sign or scenery that implies they are near Dallas. I think it would be best to then just leave it at that. It would let the viewer’s imagination run wild (I know mine did). A big portion of the diorama score the story you tell, and I think that’s a good one. It would be my first diorama, so it might not turn out quite like I’m imagining, but I think it’s a fun idea.
As with the other CNC Workshop Miniature Scenery, there is lots of gluing involved, but otherwise went together cleanly. A few pieces needed to be chamfered, but it was not hard (hobby knife or Dremel). Primed with VMC German Grey primer, then lightly sprayed VMC Grey primer from upper angles only. MSP Pure White, Tamiya Clear Red, Vallejo Game Ink Yellow, MSP Clear Blue (I am schizophrenic about my clears) and MSP Pure Black (tires). Still some work left on the tires and hatches, but mostly done.
Other cool stuff – I got some magnets for my incoming warjacks, so I magnetized the turret-thingy.