Doom Reaver Megapost

I painted a lot of Doom Reavers.

Fenris, Maximus, male Doom Reaver Swordsmen and male Greylord Escort are from Privateer Press.

Female Doom Reaver Swordsmen, female Greylord Escort and genderbent Fenris dismount are from Raging Heroes.

Objective marker is from Games Workshop.


Female Doom Reaver Swordsmen

Built from Raging Heroes Blade Maidens (Sisters of the Orphanage).  Two Troop boxes and one Command box.  The extra bits were turned into genderbent Fenris and a Greylord Escort.  The swords come with a divot along the length which I filled in with putty.  I made molds of Raging Heroes Flesh Eaters (Lust Elves Fantasy) masks using instamold and used greenstuff to copy them to the Blade Maiden faces.

I gave them a variety of skintones (to reflect Khador’s commitment to diversity when chaining prisoners to cursed swords that will drive them insane), and painted one red and one orange unit.  S75 Red and Orange were used as the base colors (they use weird names that I can’t remember).  VGA Chainmail Silver and GW Gehenna’s Gold for the metal and MSP Linen White and MSP Oiled Leather for the strips of cloth and leather.  Everything was given a healthy wash of some combination of GW Agrax Earthshade and GW Nuln Oil.

My favorite part are the swords; the souls are freehanded on there.  The base is MSP Black Green, the “soul” color is NPP Poison Green and the highlight is MSP Moth Green.

The bases for all units in this post were done at the same time.  The snow is Woodland Scenics snow mixed with PVA and watered down so it doesn’t look dry.  Tufts are Army Painter Frozen Tufts, with a few of them using the older Winter Tufts.

  

  

 

  

  


Next up is a regular unit of PP Doom Reaver Swordsmen and a Greylord Escort.  These guys are a metal and weigh more than the both units of Raging Heroes resin put together.  Again, I used a variety of skin tones, though I did more darker ones after realizing I forgot to include some really dark ones among the women.  These sculpts are much simpler than the women, which helped a lot – I got them done in about a week and a half, as opposed to multiple months for the women.  The swords were dry brushed in the same colors and the women’s swords, with S75 Red, SW Ruby Wash, VGC Beastly Brown, VGA Chainmail Silver and MSP Linen White used for the clothing bits.  All topped off with a healthy GW black/brown wash mix.  There are a few details I skipped over on the clother (rings in the leather skirts for one) so I could move them into the “done” column faster.

The Greylord Escort was painted to match the orange group of ladies above, mostly using the same colors as them.  He started off with a zenithal prime coat, got glazes of VMC Basalt Grey for his cloak, a wash of GW Agrax Earthshade over the primer coat for the fur, VMA Steel for the pauldrons and P3 Battledress Green (IIRC) for the pants.  I’ll have to keep the green in mind for future Khador guys – it’s desaturated so it doesn’t stand out, but way more interesting than brown or grey.  His staff is painted with the standard sword colors of MSP Black Green, NPP Poison Green and MSP Moth Green.  He got lots of GW Gehenna’s Gold accessories.

  

 

  


 

more details to come

 

 

 

Advertisements

Minicrate Totem Hunter

Colors used include MSP Red Shadow and MSP Black Green for undercoats, MSP Oiled Leather Triad, MSP Bones Troll Hide and Orc Flesh, P3 Radiant Platinum, GW Washes, Badger Ghost Tints Fresh Blood and Tamiya Clear Red for the blood, and some MSP bone colors.

Sorscha 0 Conversion

Original figure is a Raging Heroes “nuns with guns” figure.  I replaced the 40k-looking gun with a blunderbuss, added Malakov1’s turbine and a Winter Guard hat.

I practice shaded metallics (I took Michael Proctor’s class at ReaperCon this year) on her turbine, gun and axe.

The matte coat dulled the red/orange of her coat down much more than I expected.  I was a little disappointed honestly, since she was really vibrant.

Current WIPs

Proteus is starting to look good.  I particularly like how the tentacles came out, plus it was a rare opportunity to use my pinks.  Bubblegum Pink made a nice mix with Drow Nipple Pink for the veins, as well as a good highlight for the Entrail Pink around the eyes and on the tentacles.  I used Badger’s Fresh Blood on the tentacles, but it didn’t really come out how I’d hoped.  Next steps are the underbelly plating, dirty up the areas that are “too clean” around the tentacles and lots of detailing on the chitin.

An undead horse, and a necromancer to ride it (Alexia2)

I touched up the cloak on Alexia1 (light blue edges)

Iron Golem, soon to be Rust Golem