Group Stage Painting

Battlegrounds Saugus had a “Paint a Starter Box” (of Warhammer) event and another friend was going so I decided to participate.  I didn’t actually get any painting done while there, but did get most of the stuff assembled.  1x Carnisaur, 8x lizard-horses, and 12x lizardmen infantry.  I left off the cavalry riders (I might use them for conversions later) and the carnisaur rider (I think it looks cooler without).  Today while watching Germany v Mexico and Brazil v Switzerland I did a bunch of airbrush painting.  I’ll go back over their bellies with a lighter yellow before starting on the brushwork.

Colors are MSP Reptilian Green (the lighter green), MSP Peacock Green, Daler Rowney Burnt Umber

Also, first opportunity to use my new camera on the blog.  It’s a real camera, so it will take me a little while to learn how to use it properly.  Fortunately the defaults are good and it seems to do a lot better with colors than the cell phone or Surface Pro.

Advertisements

June = Malakov Month (WIP)

(I should have planned this more carefully so I could say “May is Malakov Month”)

Thrall Warrior will be #2 for Alexia 2, Winter Guard grunt will be Malakov2’s sucker target.  He’ll be mounted on the base, but probably removable.

Current WIPs

Proteus is starting to look good.  I particularly like how the tentacles came out, plus it was a rare opportunity to use my pinks.  Bubblegum Pink made a nice mix with Drow Nipple Pink for the veins, as well as a good highlight for the Entrail Pink around the eyes and on the tentacles.  I used Badger’s Fresh Blood on the tentacles, but it didn’t really come out how I’d hoped.  Next steps are the underbelly plating, dirty up the areas that are “too clean” around the tentacles and lots of detailing on the chitin.

An undead horse, and a necromancer to ride it (Alexia2)

I touched up the cloak on Alexia1 (light blue edges)

Iron Golem, soon to be Rust Golem

Destroyer #2

One of the quickest, if not the quickest, ‘jack I have painted up. Directional highlighting, red ink, attempting to highlight to yellow (and losing nearly all of it when I attempted to red back over it), then highlighting with off-white and putting orange ink over that. Generous edge highlights on the red, black, steel and brass and done.

#23 now hold the award for my favorite Khador jack that I’ve painted. It’s all about the red.

Pictures from right before the orange ink

Raging Heroes as Warmahordes proxies

What have I done to myself? I got a bunch of my Raging Heroes troops assembled, converted and primed, along with associated P3 figures.

In no particular order: 2 units of Doom Reaver Swordsmen including UA (one P3 model, one RH). Fenris, his dismount, a RH version of Fenris and a unit of Blighted Nyss Hex Hunters. At least on the Doom Reavers I’m going to have to find a way to force myself to paint them with a decent amount of speed or they’ll never get done.

Gray Maidens – Update 1

Working on some Gray Maidens – grunts, lieutenants and captain – for Curse of the Crimson Throne.

VMA Steel + Citadel Guilliman Blue (glaze), then mixing in VMA Aluminum for the armor.  Wash of Citadel Drakenhof Nightshade (shade).  RMS HD Crimson Red for the cloth bits and RMS Tanned Flesh for the exposed skin.

Marauder #2 – Update #1

So back on Black Friday, Privateer Press had old Mk II battleboxes for $10 each. That was too good a deal to pass up, so I got a Khador one amongst others. I don’t really need more Destroyers or Juggys, though, and I DO need more Marauders. Marauder arms are hard to come by now-a-days, so I was forced to make my own. My modding skills don’t match my vision, but they are more than serviceable.

Step #1, remove “upper arm” part of arm from some random arms.

Step #2, take some small binder clips and, using a Dremel, remove the rounded bits

Step #3, using styrene bits, construct an arm. Fill in binder clips with putty

Step #4, decorate the arms a bit, also zenithal priming

Step #5 (the hard to photograph one), deepen shadows and brighten highlights a la sketch style

Now, on to painting. Here’s what I have so far.

Red

Adding some oranges and yellows to the bright spots, and giving it a quick matte varnish (the Daner and Rowney inks are very glossy)