New Camera!

I got a Sony a5100 partly because I read it was a good camera for those just venturing out of the “cell phone camera” category into the deep abyss that is photography.  More importantly, it was cheap with credit card points.  It is exactly what I wanted – good at focusing on the right things, color balance is good, and I can play around with a few of the manual settings like aperture.

Here’s a nearly full-sized image of my favorite warjack to show off what it can do.

Advertisements

Kommander Andrei Malakov

“For you, the day BisonMalakov graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.”

Malakov is painted with my Daler Rowney inks, using my new-found technique of going back over after the red with a light yellow/cream color before doing one last layer of orange to really pop the orange-red.  I used Secret Weapon Ruby wash, which was a mistake, but I was able to fix most of the damage.  It didn’t give a smooth transition between the area where the wash settled and the rest – it “clumped”.  GW washes seem to have some magic ingredient where they give that transition I’m going for.

I put an excessive amount of shiny metal on Malakov and left gloss sealer on everything except skin and gloves.

But wait!  What’s this?  An enemy approaches!  Look out Kommander!

Quick soldier, take those arrows for your superior!

“If I don’t survive, tell my wife… “hello” ”

Ivan here has magnets in his feet so he’ll stay on the base as long as necessary to protect Malakov.  Arrows are from a Reaper sprue and blood is Tamiya Clear Red and Badger Fresh Blood

And more close-ups, since I got this awesome new camera!

Group Stage Painting

Battlegrounds Saugus had a “Paint a Starter Box” (of Warhammer) event and another friend was going so I decided to participate.  I didn’t actually get any painting done while there, but did get most of the stuff assembled.  1x Carnisaur, 8x lizard-horses, and 12x lizardmen infantry.  I left off the cavalry riders (I might use them for conversions later) and the carnisaur rider (I think it looks cooler without).  Today while watching Germany v Mexico and Brazil v Switzerland I did a bunch of airbrush painting.  I’ll go back over their bellies with a lighter yellow before starting on the brushwork.

Colors are MSP Reptilian Green (the lighter green), MSP Peacock Green, Daler Rowney Burnt Umber

Also, first opportunity to use my new camera on the blog.  It’s a real camera, so it will take me a little while to learn how to use it properly.  Fortunately the defaults are good and it seems to do a lot better with colors than the cell phone or Surface Pro.

Kayazy Assassins

The assassins were one of my first Khador purchases after the initial 50pt army box, and have been sitting around primed (+ gray cloaks) for several years.  I’m not super happy with the paint job they got and I think the biggest problem was trying to use a wash on the red clothing.  I have several of the Secret Weapon washes and despite wanting to like them (Mr. Justin is a super cool guy) they just don’t seem to work like I want them to.

I got a new photo backdrop, which was used in all these images.  The color is correct on the first one, and not correct on the rest.

I love the Underboss mini.  So tough.  So balding.

I used a variety of skin and hair colors on the assassins.

Unit leaders get fancy cloaks apparently.