Questing Knight Princess Malya and Mr. Tomm

The first of the new resin minis from Soda Pop Miniatures that I got my hands on, Princess Malya is a beautiful sculpt and fun to paint.  I agonized over the last little bit, and between never getting to play Relic Knights and this model’s rules being garbage, she slept on the shelf of shame, waiting for her Prince Charming to show up.  I finally finished her off last month, so she can join Mr. Tomm, who’s been done for a year now.

In case the inspiration isn’t obvious, I’ve based her paint job on Alice from Disney’s Alice in Wonderland.  The base is one of my favorite parts, and I love how it came out – you can even see a bit of reflection in some shots.  I definitely got fed up with the dress at points, and just had to leave it in order to move on, but overall am fairly happy.  The white in particular, I probably could have redone it using some of the tips from Jen Greenwald’s class that I took last year.

Lazy Man Mega-Post

I’ve been painting recently, but I haven’t taken any pictures in a while. Rather than post nothing, I’ll post crappy pictures of stuff that’s currently on my table.

 

Relic Knights – Princess Malya Questing Knight (and base)

20151018_163033 20151018_163041 20151018_163053 20151018_163222

Relic Knights – Mr. Tomn (Malya’s cypher, he’s done, just waiting on Malya)

20151018_16331720151018_163326

Tin Man Minis – Sisterhood Assassin

20151018_163128 20151018_163141

My FLGS had a clearance sale on some GW stuff, so I picked up a treeman ancient for a reasonable prince

20151018_163159 20151018_163208

Relic Knights – Cosplay Candy (as Chun Li)

20151018_163234

Kingdom Death – Survivor Candy (Soda Pop Minis/Kingdom Death crossover mini)

20151018_163246

Betty and Lug – Update 5

Betty is done!  I’m not calling this “complete” until Lug is also done, but here she is to show off.

20150823_185621 20150823_185649 20150823_185710 20150823_185736

The sealer is doing the “I’m going to make your pictures look terrible” thing again, even though you can’t really see those speckles in person.

I’m thrilled with how the freehand came out, and I can’t wait to get her out on the table.  It will be a little while though, because at minimum, I need to finish Lug and a knight (probably Questing Malya).

Betty and Lug – Update 4

I got the rest of the freehand done on Betty’s boots and jumpsuit, and I am really happy with how it came out.  I started in on some of the other detailing of the jumpsuit, using the studio model for help.  (I put a gloss sealer over the freehand since I don’t want to have to redo it)

20150815_165934 20150815_165940

Betty and Lug – Update 1

Betty and Lug are the next set of Relic Knights figures I’m painting up – the first(ish) of my Cerci. Cerci are all sorts of bright colors, so they get the bright green bases, brights yellow and bright orange. I’m planning on sticking fairly close to the concept art for this pair, with the major exception that my Betty has a dark skin tone.

My phone did nasty things with the color balance – this is the same background and lighting on all the pictures.

First up is Betty:

20150726_165843 20150726_165851

Khador Red Highlight for her jumpsuit & boots, RMS Dark Skin for her skin, and Scale75 Amarth Blue for the hair.

 

20150726_165656 20150726_165713 20150726_165722 20150726_165732

Most of the work on Lug so far is from the airbrush.  I primed him in black, then did light grey from the 50% angle on up, then white from the direction of the third picture.  I gave him a fairly solid coat of VGC Yellow Ink, but that was a little too bright, and left too much black on the lower parts, so I did a light, translucent coat of VMC Ochre Brown then another layer of yellow ink.  The only brushwork so far are the black stripes.

20150726_165636

And here are the bases they’ll be getting.

Pacer Bot

I didn’t feel like painting my Black Diamond today, so I thought I’d start cleaning a Pacer Bot – a fairly simple model in the Cerci Speed Circuit faction.  Then I figured I’d assemble it.  And then prime it.  Oh, and while I have the airbrush out, I might as well prime the base, directional highlight the mini, base coat the mini and base.  Then I looked at the studio paint job and decided to get started on that – just the blacks and whites.  Then I did them all.  And decided to do a little bit of freehand (the design on the upper pods) to match the studio job.  Then I got the airbrush back out and painted the yellow lines on the base and sealed the mini.

Long story short, I painted a mini, start to finish, in an afternoon.  Seven hours, including watching several anime episodes.

DSC05345 DSC05349 DSC05353 DSC05354

The base is Badger Opaque Green over white primer.  The street is 80 grit Emery Cloth sandpaper, with VMC Yellow Ochre lines painted with a stencil I created out of plasticard.

For the mini, I used Vallejo German Gray Primer, then Vallejo White Primer from upper angles all the way around.  I then used VMC Fluorescent Magenta as a base coat.  RMS Pure White and RMS Pure Black for all the accents, with some leftover VMC Basalt Gray and RMS Rainy Gray for the highlights of the nozzles and exhaust.  It’s a vehicle, so it has a nice gloss coat, which unfortunately interferes with my pictures.  Also, the pictures don’t properly capture just how bright that magenta is.  It’s the same color as the studio paint jobs for Princess Malya and the Pacer Bot.