Diamondback Mecha – Progress 2

The Diamond is going to be a long slog of edge highlighting, but I also made some progress on his axe.  I’m happy with how it looks so far, but it seems like it’s missing something.

DSC05235 DSC05238

That’s airbrush work, of course.  RMS Light Blue (the same as the other blue bits), then RMS Clear Blue and finally Reaper New Pro Paint Ocean Blue.

Black Dragons

Here they are, the completed Black Dragon squad and their leader Sophia Drake.

DSC05135 DSC05139 DSC05141 DSC05144

A shot from above with a better view of their bases.  These are the base inserts that were included with Kickstarter orders.  3 styles of 40mm base inserts are on display here.  VMC Oily Steel, RMS HD Armor Grey and RMS Rainy Grey were used over a black base.

DSC05148

Here we have a shot from below (with some photoshopping of the background).

DSC05150

And experimenting with a white background.  They look a lot darker (closer to my intended coloring), but less accurate than the above images.  Interestingly, the matte sealer I used (Liquitex Matte Varnish, applied with an airbrush) noticably brightened the grays.

DSC05154

Black Dragons

Nearing completion are the 2nd and 3rd members of my Black Dragons unit.  They are just awaiting a matte coat and then they will join the other members on my tabletop.

Colors used: VMC German Grey, VMC Basalt Grey, RMS Rainy Grey, RMS Light Blue, RMS Soft Blue, RMS Pure White

DSC05129

Diamondback Mecha

One of the coolest-looking units in the Black Diamond force is the mighty Diamondback mecha.  This bad boy is 11cm tall and sits on an 80mm base.  Primer/Base Coat is Vallejo colored primer German Panzer Grey (73.603).  Global highlights were done with a broad stroke of VMC Basalt Grey and tighter highlights of Basalt Grey mixed with RMS Rainy Grey.  The blue spots are RMS Light Blue.  Edge highlighting will be the bulk of the effort on this fellow, with some of the Rainy Grey highlights started.  I’m not sure what to do with the Plasma Glaive yet – overall I’m hewing rather close to the studio paintjob, but I think I want to do something different for the blade here.  The airbrush is certain to be involved.  I wish I had not glued the head of the glaive on – masking off 90% of the model will be rather annoying.

DSC05120 DSC05121 DSC05123 DSC05127