First unit of 5 Heartrenders. Same colors as snake ladies. This puts me at 500 points, of the 1000 I intend to paint this year.
CommentsLeave a comment
Following the Ancient Portal, I wanted to do the Realmgates in a similar style. I ended up having to redo them several times because of a few issues:
The realmgates actually have the glowing thing contained in them, meaning that needs to be much lighter than the rest of the piece. I started out too light and too saturated on both realmgates and had to darken things up before I could proceed properly. Then I had to be very careful that I didn’t punch the highlights on the stonework too high, so that the glow would stay darker than the fire. I half-way succeeded at both these things, and might get some new realmgates to try again. I also didn’t paint any of the do-dads on the pieces (skulls, decorative borders, etc) because I really should have painted them after drybrushing stone, but before working on the fire and glow. I didn’t want to re-apply the glow after painting white skulls so just decided these were done.
Reaper Dungeon Gray, Stone Grey, Weathered Stone
Reaper MSP Clear Pthalo Blue, LED Blue, Pure White (I tried using S75 Electric Blue, but it was almost indistinguishable from the Pthalo blue, and also too opaque). The Pthalo blue was a bit hard to work with in this context, because although it was translucent, the color built up so fast that it was hard to get variations. Next time I will need to start with a darker blue as my base color.
Reaper MSP Clear Magenta, S75 Acid Pink, MSP Spectral White, Pure White
Skin: Red Shadow, Bronze Shadow, Bronze Skin
Snake Parts: Clear Magenta over zenithal highlight. S75 Huldra Blue, Marine Teal, Surf Aqua, Aqua/Ghost White for highest lines
Weapons & Armor: Walnut Brown, NMM Gold triad, P3 Menoth White Highlight
Base: Woodland Scenics Flex Paste, smothered in Tamiya Clear Red
She’s magnetized, so she can ride on the Bloodwrack Shrine whenever that gets finished.
color scheme test (v1)
color scheme test (v2)
color scheme test (version 3)
500 points, airbrushed magenta
Medusa, 2 units of 5x Blood Sisters, 5x Lifetakers (I already assembled them as Heartrenders, but I’ll play them as the cheaper Lifetakers)
First Blood Sister mostly done, still need to work on magenta
A treasure chest objective marker, by Games Workshop. I will be using this with my pirate ladies. (Not that they don’t have plenty of booty)
Base wood is S75 Bosh Chestnut, to match my plank bases. VMA Gold is the base for the metals, but I glazed or drybrushed other colors on to vary it. VGA Chainmail Silver for the steel color.
My take on Lylyth 3 (minus the base, which I haven’t even started yet – but it’s the same base I used on the Throne)
The mammoth is a GW Thundertusk. There were lots of fun little details to paint, especially when I left most of the gross things from the kit off. As for the wounds, I figure this guy didn’t take very well to being blighted.
Pictures including base:
I picked these guys up to paint for a GW paint day at a local store. I finished them about a month ago, I don’t really remember. It was kind of a pain to assembly-line them, but they are done. I put them on 25mm bases, because I figure the most likely use I’ll have for them is in PFRPG games.
Battlegrounds Saugus had a “Paint a Starter Box” (of Warhammer) event and another friend was going so I decided to participate. I didn’t actually get any painting done while there, but did get most of the stuff assembled. 1x Carnisaur, 8x lizard-horses, and 12x lizardmen infantry. I left off the cavalry riders (I might use them for conversions later) and the carnisaur rider (I think it looks cooler without). Today while watching Germany v Mexico and Brazil v Switzerland I did a bunch of airbrush painting. I’ll go back over their bellies with a lighter yellow before starting on the brushwork.
Colors are MSP Reptilian Green (the lighter green), MSP Peacock Green, Daler Rowney Burnt Umber
Also, first opportunity to use my new camera on the blog. It’s a real camera, so it will take me a little while to learn how to use it properly. Fortunately the defaults are good and it seems to do a lot better with colors than the cell phone or Surface Pro.
A fairly pretentious name for a nice-looking, but mundane model. I saw this on the New Products rack at Hobby Bunker and decided to pick it up. Once I eventually get enough Cryx painted up for an army, it will be a nice bit of terrain for them. It was a fairly simple paint job, mostly lots of dry-brushing. I tried to use lots of desaturated browns, as old wood tends to look almost gray. I also got to use the verdegris paint for the bronze bits.