Celestial Gigas

Two Celestial Gigas from Middara.  We defeated Judas, an interplanar bounty hunter and our summoner will soon be able to call one to fight for us.  A tricky part was making the different browns look distinct.  The NMM on his manacles is a bit silly but helps with the anime look.  Both are painted basically the same, so I only took one set of pictures.

Merk Hounds

Merk Hounds are random weird aquatic monsters in Middara.  Contrast Orc Green + Wildwood for a swampy green, then MSP Harvest Brown.  Tanned Skin + GW Flesh Wash for their rat-looking bits.

Aisling

Aisling was *so* fun to paint.  She was done entirely at ReaperCon.  I used Blood Angels Red Contrast on her hair, smoothed with a bit of P3 Khador Red then some S75 Fluro Red. The white is MSP Pure White, with no additional highlights.  A tiny bit of neutral gray shading and lining is all there is.

Sad that she only lasted one encounter.  She nearly killed Remi by spawning next to her, then Remi’s dad killed her in a pretty gruesome manner.  The moral of her story is don’t kidnap the mafia boss’s only daughter.

Rook

I’m super happy with Rook’s NMM hammers and chains.  He’s previously been featured on a WIP.  I might put some more work into him if I feel like.  (specifically, he might get more chest and arm hair).

Photo backdrop from Hangar 18.  They had a going-out-of-business sale at ReaperCon.  Sad to hear that, but I did pick up a half-dozen new backdrops.

The whole team:

Middara monsters, Round 1

Here is a selection of some of the monsters from Middara that I’ve painted up.

Earth Loa:
I washed with a sepia color, then drybrushed with Reaper’s Stone Triad. At the point, the colors were far too neutral and didn’t look like stone or earth. I then took various GW and SW washes and airbrushed them on to tint various areas. I then went back to the Stone Triad for edge highlights, moving between a few colors so that the edge highlights on the bottom half of the model were not as bright.

Glow effect:
After I put on the main colors, I used an airbrush to put a fuzzy circle of white in the palm. I did the same with a medium but saturated green, allowing to spill past the white area. This made the outer edges fairly dark and the center solid green. I then did progressively smaller dots of green, moving towards white. I added some small highlights and shadows to keep it from just looking like a blob. Finally, after matte varnishing, I went back and covered the glow only in a gloss varnish.