WIP

I haven’t posted WIPs lately, and this isn’t much of one, but here’s what I’m working on at the moment:

That’s 20 Satyxis Raiders (+2 UAs +2 Captains), 10 Blood Witches, 3 Gunslingers, 2 solos, 1 warcaster, 2 heavies and 3 lights.  Progress is fairly slow because I am doing them assembly-line style and there are so many.  Currently, I’ve inked the main colors on each unit (green and blue for Raiders, blue for witches, purple for gunslingers) and started in on basecoating the leather.

They are all getting wooden-plank bases, which are basically done.

The jacks have been drybrushed with metal and washed with black wash, but I may change direction and use color-shift paints on them.  I did up one bonejack quickly to see how the colorshift looks

Unrelated to warmachine, I have several 3D printed items I’ve been working on painting.  A finished hover-car, a primed police car, primed ship for the Satyxis and some sci-fi vehicles (from Antenocities Workshop) based with colorshift paint.

Advertisements

Torch

This is Torch, Kommander Strakhov’s character warjack. I started him last summer, blending the red and painting over the black, painted the flames around ReaperCon, and did the metals last week. I took Michael Proctor’s class on Shaded Metallic at ReaperCon and have been planning on painting Torch using that technique for several months now.

Red: err… I forget. Usual assortment of D&R Inks, P3 and S75 colors.
Flames: Nightmare black up through white. I forget what I used for the midtone – maybe Dragon Blue?
Steel: Skeleton Key + Metal Medium. Shaded with Blue Liner.
Gold/Brass: VAM Gold for everything except the stacks, which are P3 Bright Brass. Shaded down with Black Green, and up with VAM Steel and Metal Medium.

I might go back and touch up a few spots (there is a decent amount of unpainted black) and enter him as a serious piece in ReaperCon. If any of my readers have other concrete suggestions please let me know. If I ever want to aim for Gold, I will need feedback and iteration.

Gallant

Painting process was nearly identical to Constance Blaize, except I used P3 Brass Balls for some of the metals, and to highlight some of the red-gold.  You can get a better sense of the base from Gallant than from Constance.

These two buddies will bring much warmth to my shelves.

Stormclad/Reliant

I just wanted to be done, so I skipped a couple steps at the end.  (Like getting setting up for a proper photo shoot, for example)

Same basic steps as the rest of my South Khador, although removing the Swans from his shoulder pads was a pain.  I forgot to put anvils on the shoulder until after I did the red, so I had to be very careful applying them, but it worked out.  I also chose not to include the flag, mostly for height/transportation reasons, but that would also have been pain to remove the Cygnus from.

Hurrikane

Whew, that’s a lot of surface area to cover.  I’ve also got the Stormwall variant coming, but I wanted to get this guy done before the end of the year for the Point-a-Day challenge.

Standard orangy-red South Khador color scheme.  The big anvil on his chassis is made with styrene strips, while the shoulder-pad ones are freehand painted.  Black is highlighted with P3 Coal Black.  Lightning is white + GW blue glaze + white.  Metal is VMA Chainmail Silver and VGA Steel, washed with GW Nuln Oil and drybrushed with VMC Oiled Steel.  VGC Glorious Gold for the anvils, and P3 Bright Brass for the brass parts.  Final highlights on the yellow metals added in some Vallejo Metal Medium.

Base is a Secret Weapon based “Blasted Wetlands” plus 2 part resin water.  The pour had a couple issues, but went mostly okay.  I used a bunch of washes on the base itself to give it a lot of variation.  I also threw some plants and things in there so it wouldn’t look quite so empty.  I also used the AK Interactive swamp gel around his feet  (the lighter color under his left foot is actually some that I didn’t notice hadn’t finished drying yet).

Firefly

Painting the electrical bits was fun – a nice break from all that red.  It’s Citadel blue glaze applied like a wash over Pure White.  1-3 layers to get desired darkness.  Then highlighted with Pure White.  He has a “failure” swamp base.