Merk Hounds are random weird aquatic monsters in Middara. Contrast Orc Green + Wildwood for a swampy green, then MSP Harvest Brown. Tanned Skin + GW Flesh Wash for their rat-looking bits.
I’m super happy with Rook’s NMM hammers and chains. He’s previously been featured on a WIP. I might put some more work into him if I feel like. (specifically, he might get more chest and arm hair).
Photo backdrop from Hangar 18. They had a going-out-of-business sale at ReaperCon. Sad to hear that, but I did pick up a half-dozen new backdrops.
The whole team:
Here is a selection of some of the monsters from Middara that I’ve painted up.
I washed with a sepia color, then drybrushed with Reaper’s Stone Triad. At the point, the colors were far too neutral and didn’t look like stone or earth. I then took various GW and SW washes and airbrushed them on to tint various areas. I then went back to the Stone Triad for edge highlights, moving between a few colors so that the edge highlights on the bottom half of the model were not as bright.
After I put on the main colors, I used an airbrush to put a fuzzy circle of white in the palm. I did the same with a medium but saturated green, allowing to spill past the white area. This made the outer edges fairly dark and the center solid green. I then did progressively smaller dots of green, moving towards white. I added some small highlights and shadows to keep it from just looking like a blob. Finally, after matte varnishing, I went back and covered the glow only in a gloss varnish.
The Steelheads were 90% at my LGS so I bought them to convert to the upcoming Legion of Lost Souls, a good-guy undead unit. Fitting with power-creep, the new unit has halberds, guns, shields and recursion. The Steelhead unit, while much cheaper (in points), only has halberds.
Painted with GW’s new Aetheric Blue Contrast paint, followed by a white drybrush. The bases are plasticard; the reverse side was airbrushed using new Fallout Hobby stencils. The stencils had a much smaller pattern than I had hoped. In addition, this particular pattern was very hard to pull off the backing and use.